The Present Calendar

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A.Word.A.Day


 

cohere

PRONUNCIATION:

(ko-HEER)

MEANING:

verb intr.: To be united; to work or hold together.

ETYMOLOGY:

From Latin cohaerere, from co- (together) + haerere (to stick).

USAGE:

"I learned to slip back and forth between my black and white worlds, understanding that each possessed its own language and customs and structures of meaning, convinced that with a bit of translation on my part the two worlds would eventually cohere."
Barack Obama; Dreams From My Father; Times Books; 1995.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. -Martin Luther King, Jr., civil-rights leader (1929-1968)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Current Date and National Holidays

Everyday is a Holiday!