The Present Calendar

Monday, March 7, 2011

<b>Love Is Forever</b> devotion for 07-MAR-11

&lt;b&gt;Love Is Forever&lt;/b&gt; devotion for 07-MAR-11

Selection Taken From:
A Year with God by R.P. Nettelhorst

Make this the year you let God's Word "dwell in you richly"---and marvel at the results! Each entry in this 365-day devotional features Scripture verses in which God speaks, accompanied by insights and applications to enhance your understanding. Learn what God says about hope and fear; perseverance and quitting; companionship and isolation; and more! 384 pages, softcover from Nelson, Copyright 2010.


Love Is Forever
Once You spoke in vision to Your godly ones, And said, "I have given help to one who is mighty; I have exalted one chosen from the people.
"I have found David My servant; With My holy oil I have anointed him,
With whom My hand will be established; My arm also will strengthen him.
"The enemy will not deceive him, Nor the son of wickedness afflict him.
"But I shall crush his adversaries before him, And strike those who hate him.
"My faithfulness and My lovingkindness will be with him, And in My name his horn will be exalted.
"I shall also set his hand on the sea And his right hand on the rivers.
"He will cry to Me, 'You are my Father, My God, and the rock of my salvation.'
"I also shall make him My firstborn, The highest of the kings of the earth.
"My lovingkindness I will keep for him forever, And My covenant shall be confirmed to him.
"So I will establish his descendants forever And his throne as the days of heaven. - Psalm 89:19—29 NASB

Does God always keep his promises? God promised that David would always have a descendant ruling in Jerusalem. But the last descendant of David to sit on a throne was Zechariah, more than five hundred years before the birth of Jesus. Nebuchadnezzar dragged Zechariah to Babylon along with the people of Judah. There has not been a king in Jerusalem ever since. Even now, there are no genealogical records to connect any modern human beings with David.

God told David that his covenant had been established with him forever. God promised to crush his adversaries. But King Zechariah's sons were slaughtered in front of him just before he had his eyes poked out. The king of Israel was to be "the highest of the kings of the earth" and God's "firstborn," and yet Zechariah was dragged to Babylon in chains by Nebuchadnezzar.

So how did God keep his promise to David? Jesus Christ, the Messiah, the descendant of David, is the King and Creator of the universe: both son of David and Son of God. Jesus rules over God's people from heaven, sitting on David's throne there. We can't always see the promises that God keeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Current Date and National Holidays

Everyday is a Holiday!