The Present Calendar

Monday, March 21, 2011

A Year with God

Selection Taken From:
A Year with God by R.P. Nettelhorst

Make this the year you let God's Word "dwell in you richly"---and marvel at the results! Each entry in this 365-day devotional features Scripture verses in which God speaks, accompanied by insights and applications to enhance your understanding. Learn what God says about hope and fear; perseverance and quitting; companionship and isolation; and more! 384 pages, softcover from Nelson, Copyright 2010.

Whether They Listen or Not

All around him was a glowing halo, like a rainbow shining in the douds on a rainy day. This is what the glory of the Loan looked like to me. When I saw it, I fell face down on the ground, and I heard someone's voice speaking to me.
"Stand up, son of man," said the voice. "I want to speak with you." The Spirit came into me as he spoke, and he set me on my feet. I listened carefully to his words. "Son of man," he said, "I am sending you to the nation of Israel, a rebellious nation that has rebelled against me. They and their ancestors have been rebelling against me to this very day. They are a stubborn and hard-hearted people. But I am sending you to say to them, This is what the Sovereign LORD says!' And whether they listen or refuse to listen—for remember, they are rebels—at least they will know they have had a prophet among them.
"Son of man, do not fear them or their words. Don't be afraid even though their threats surround you like nettles and briers and stinging scorpions. Do not be dismayed by their dark scowls, even though they are rebels. You must give them my messages whether they listen or not. But they won't listen, for they are completely rebellious! Son of man, listen to what I say to you. Do not join them in their rebellion. Open your mouth, and eat what I give you." - Ezekiel 1:28-2:8 NLT

Fearing God means you have nothing else to be afraid of. While in some cases "fear of God" might mean something like "reverential awe," in most cases it simply means to be afraid. The Hebrew word for fear in "fearing God" is the same word used when an angel tells someone to "fear not." Being afraid of God is the first step in a relationship with him. Only as we realize God will forgive us can our fear turn to hope and love. Besides reassuring Ezekiel that he would protect him from all harm, God also told Ezekiel that even though the people would know he was a prophet, few would listen. Then God fed him a small scroll to symbolize that Ezekiel's prophetic message would come from God.

Most people would have a hard time digging a bunch of holes only to fill them in again. But essentially that's what Ezekiel faced in his ministry. Ezekiel was okay with that. He would persevere no matter how tough or unrewarding it got. He saw that his success came not in the reactions of his audience but in the performance of his duty. He trusted that God would work things out whether Ezekiel could see how or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Current Date and National Holidays

Everyday is a Holiday!